Monday, November 24, 2008

Why iMovie HD kicks iMovie 08's ass

So after I recieved my new Black Macbook 2.4ghz, I decided to play around with the iLife Suite. Mostly everything impressed me, except iMovie '08.
iMovie '08 had a professional icon and an interface that looked professional but after a few minutes of attempted use, I found that iMovie '08 was just too damn confusing. I mean seriously, how hard must they make it for me to import a video? I tried doing everything from dragging and dropping the .mov clips I had to file imports from the menu to no avail. It just didn't work.
When I finally did get something to import (an FLV file from YouTube which had to be converted into .mov) and play, I couldn't find the effects. I looked around on the net, and found that apparently Apple had removed video effects from iMove '08. Fuck.
Luckily I also found that iMovie HD was available on Apple's website, here.

Anyways just to do a little comparison on where I'm coming from, check out the screenshots below. The first one is just iMovie '08's strange and alienating interface, while the second is of my Max Payne video in the making:

See how strange it is? There's no real timeline, but scrolling over the video clip gives you a great preview of what you could potentially do with a bit of clipping and cutting.


Now THIS is what I call a good (basic) movie editor! You can add tracks, effects, and a lot more stuff.
Here are the video effects ALREADY INCLUDED in iMovie HD:


Besides those, there are some pretty awesome audio effects as well as included sound effects. You can add songs from your iTunes library and a lot, lot more. I haven't played around too much with iMovie '08, so I'll have to try it out a bit more and post a new article.
Until then, check out my Max Payne trailer if you already haven't.
Cheers.

No comments: