Thursday, November 27, 2008

uTorrent for Mac Beta Overview and Screenshot Tour

uTorrent for Mac OS X is finally here! Since I use OS X, I decided to give my favorite Windows torrent client a spin...

uTorrent for OS X has a clean, consistent UI and reminds me somewhat of iTunes. It has most of the features of the Windows version of uTorrent, except for the fact that I still fail to find where or how I can add additional trackers to my torrent files.
A particularly interesting feature that is only available in the OS X version of uTorrent is the toolbar editor:

Neat, isn't it? One thing that the OS X flavour of uTorrent lacks is the toolbar theming option. I guess that this was omitted so that the UI remains beautiful--I've not actually heard of anyone that actually changes the default uTorrent Toolbar theme to date.

Anyways, on with the screenshot tour:

1. The default window for uTorrent on OS X

2. uTorrent for OS X with an example file downloading

3. uTorrent on OS X with more information about 'Peers' connected

4. uTorrent's torrent information describing files being downloaded

5. uTorrent's progress window for the torrent

6. The context menu currently available for each torrent downloading. For some reason, there is no 'advanced' button as seen on the Windows uTorrent releases, but this is probably because it is still in beta.

7. The uTorrent preferences--the UI is consistent and well done. Each of the following pictures show a different aspect of the preferences.






That's about it for now. I hope you enjoyed this overview and screenshot tour.
uTorrent for Mac looks like it will definitely improve in the future. It seems to be fairly stable for a beta release, although some have reported issues when opening .torrent files with uTorrent as Finder lags a little. If you have any updates or comments, do not hesitate to post them.
Cheers.

No comments: